What are accommodations?

Student needs will vary according to the individual course requirements and the nature of the disability. The university is not required to provide every accommodation that a student may request. Students should note that the requirements for accommodations for post-secondary education are different from the requirements for high school and that the accommodations themselves may differ.

Accommodations are determined through the following:

  • Student’s Self-Report

  • Observation and Interaction

  • Information From External or Third Parties

Students with documented disabilities might qualify for academic accommodations.  Examples are provided below:

  • Use of recorder for lectures

  • Use of Assistive Technology

  • Use of Sign Language Interpreters

  • Use of particular types of desks and other furniture

  • Scheduling accommodations: priority registration is available to students who are registered with Disability Services.

  • Use of a note taker.

  • Extended time for assignments: under certain conditions, supported by documentation, “extended time on assignments” may be an appropriate accommodation. Any extension must be negotiated with the professor in advance of the assignment due date

  • Physical access: every effort is made to reduce barriers to classrooms and other university facilities. Students with accessibility concerns should contact Disability Services as soon as they become aware of the need for an accommodation.

Students requesting HPU housing accommodations must complete the following process:

  • Students must first apply for and accept their housing contract through Residence Life and contact Accessibility Services to begin the process of requesting special housing accommodations. In order to assist students with special housing accommodations, a housing application must be completed and contracts must be accepted with Residence Life.

  • Students must complete the Accessibility Services intake process

  • Students must complete part 1 of Special Housing Request Form and have your healthcare provider complete part 2 to proceed with housing accommodations through Accessibility Services.  Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Important: If a student receives housing prior to their scheduled intake meeting with Accessibility Services, students must accept the given contract. Should special housing accommodations be granted, the student will be relocated.

Hawaii Loa Campus and Waterfront Lofts residents are required to purchase a meal plan. Those with specific dietary needs, food allergies or medical conditions should indicate these needs in Step 4 of the online Housing Application. The Food Services Director and Housing and Residence Life staff will work directly with students to accommodate special dietary needs or allergies.

Any exceptions to this meal plan requirement will fall under the meal plan waiver process as established by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Policies and procedures are available in the HPU Student Handbook.

Residents requesting to waive this requirement must follow these procedures and submit his/her request by the Add-Drop deadline of the fall or spring terms in order to be considered for a waiver. Waiver requests are not guaranteed:

1. Submit a Meal Plan Waiver Request Form, including documentation to support the request (e.g., a letter or other documentation from a medical provider, religious leader, nutritionist), by the deadline:

2. Student is required to meet with the Food Services Director and/or Chef to discuss the meal plan waiver request. The Office of Housing and Residence Life staff will facilitate the scheduling of this meeting after the Meal Plan Waiver Request is submitted.

3. The Office of Housing and Residence Life will then review the request form, the student’s supporting documents, and the Food Services Director’s recommendation, in consultation with the Office of Accessibility Services when appropriate, to determine whether the meal plan waiver will be granted.

4. A decision will be communicated to the student via their HPU email address within 10 business days after steps 1 and 2 of this process have been completed.

Submission of the form does not constitute a waiver of the meal plan requirement. Requests received after the deadline will not be considered, unless there is a documented medical emergency. If you have questions about the process, contact or call 808-544-1436.

Students who qualify should submit a Test Proctoring Form A for each test, quiz, or exam to be taken in the Center for Academic Success.  The Test Proctoring Form provides essential information for Accessibility Services staff to be able to appropriately proctor tests, quizzes, or exams.  Submitting a completed Test Proctoring Form A a week prior to the scheduled test, quiz, or exam contributes to ensuring full access to approved accommodation.

Examples of Examination modifications (e.g., extended time, reduced distraction environment, use of a word processor for essays) will be handled on a case-by-case basis.


HPU Students with Alternative Testing Accommodations may submit a request by CLICKING HERE: ALTERNATIVE TESTING REQUESTS

The Center for Academic Success (CAS) provides free, individualized tutoring assistance to all registered HPU undergraduate and graduate students.

Students can come for tutoring on a voluntary walk-in basis or may be referred by an instructor. Because the sessions are designed to meet individual needs, tutoring is generally conducted in one-on-one and small group sessions.  Students registered with OAS may qualify for double-time sessions or schedule advance appointments.

Additionally, students may use of our computer-assisted tutoring. The tutoring services have proven effective at all levels of learning, in writing, modern languages, math, science, business, and approximately one hundred other courses.

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, animals whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits or to promote emotional well-being are not service animals.  However, Hawaii Pacific University recognizes that Emotional Supports Animals (ESAs) may be used as part of a treatment plan for individuals with disabilities.  Follow these steps for submitting an ESA request to Accessibility Services:

Center for Academic Success

HPU Downtown Campus

500 Ala Moana Blvd (WP), Suite 400

Honolulu, HI 96813

Phone: (808) 544-1197