Graduate Application Requirements
Admission to any of the graduate or certificate programs at Hawai'i Pacific University is based on academic ability and
International students wishing to apply
Individuals wishing to apply to a master's degree program at HPU, are required to submit the following:
Individuals wishing to apply to a graduate certificate program, click here for the list of admissions requirements.
All individuals wishing to apply to
- Applicants wishing to apply to a Master's
program ,or certificate program are strongly encouraged to apply online. If you need to download the application, click here.
- HPU undergraduates wanting to apply to a Concurrent
program ,should click here for details.
- Individuals wishing to attend HPU as a graduate study abroad
student ,should complete the Graduate Study Abroad application (PDF).
- Individuals who wish to attend HPU as non-degree seeking (special status) graduate students, must complete the Special Status application (PDF).
Two (2) letters of recommendation must be submitted by individuals who can attest to your ability to perform graduate work successfully (e.g., former professors, academic counselors, employers, business colleagues). The Business Administration and Military and Diplomacy programs will allow military evaluations (dated within the last 2 years) in lieu of letters; the Communication program will allow for one (1) military evaluation. The Advance Standing Social Work program requires that one of the letters be from a BSW program director. Click here for the recommendation form.
For all programs, except Marine Science applicants:
In 500 words, state your purpose in undertaking graduate study at Hawai'i Pacific University, describing your academic objectives, research interests, and career plans.
Marine Science applicants:
Individuals applying to the Marine Science program must submit an essay of up to 1000 words stating your purpose in undertaking graduate study at Hawai’i Pacific University. Describe your academic objectives, research interests, and career plans. Discuss how your unique background would contribute to the diversity of Hawai’i Pacific University’s Marine Science program and to the educational experiences of your fellow classmates. You may also take this opportunity to provide information about related qualifications, including collegiate, professional, and community activities, and any other substantial accomplishments not already mentioned in the application.
The following programs require specific standardized exams:
- Business Administration (MBA) programs (including joint MBA programs) requires the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Records Examination (GRE).
- Information Systems (MSIS) requires the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Records Examination (GRE).
The GMAT/GRE requirement is waived for the following individuals:
- You have a conferred degree from HPU and earned a minimum of a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Have a conferred Masters’s degree or higher from an accredited institution and earned a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA).
The GMAT/GRE requirement may be waived upon submission and review of a written GMAT/GRE Waiver Request in the following circumstances:
- Transferring to HPU from another accredited graduate program. To be considered, submit the following:
- Official graduate transcript showcasing a minimum of six semester hours of successfully completed coursework.
- Statement indicating the justification for the request
- A minimum of five years, full-time, professional experience in leadership, direct supervision of staff, and development and management of budgets. To be considered, submit the following:
- Professional resume providing detailed descriptions of specific duties and terms of employment for each position held.
Statementindicating the justification for the request.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling requires the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test
- Marine Science program requires the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test.
All scores should be sent to Hawai'i Pacific University (code: 4352). GRE,
The following programs require applicants to submit a resume to support their application:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Diplomacy and Military Studies
Human Resource Management
- Information Systems
- Marine Science
- MBA programs
Organizational Development and Change
All applicants must pay a $50 non-refundable application fee. Payment may be made by check, credit card, money order, or bank draft in U.S. dollars.
Individuals wishing to apply to one of our graduate certificate
In addition to the above admissions documents, some graduate programs and graduate certificate programs require other materials, please refer to the table below.
|PROGRAM||WORK EXPERIENCE||INTERVIEW||GMAT||GRE||PRAXIS II||Resume||OTHER|
|Business Administration (MBA)||x||x||x||-The GMAT and the GRE are accepted.|
|12 Month Program (MBA)||x||x||x||x||
-The GMAT or GRE is required for the 12 month MBA program.
|Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)||x||x||x||-Priority Deadline to apply: February 15, applications received after this date will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
-A minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) based on a 4.0 scale.
-A minimum of 15 credit hours of work in psychology, including at least one course in statistics and one course in research methods.
|Diplomacy and Military Studies (MA)||x|
|Elementary Education (MEd)||x||
-Education applicants must have a minimum of a 3.0 Undergraduate GPA.
|Information Systems (MS)||x||x||x||
-The GMAT and the GRE are accepted.
|Marine Science (MS)||x||x||x||
-Review of Applications will begin on February 1
-MSN and Nursing certificate applicants must have earned Bachelor of Nursing degree with a minimum of a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.
|Post Master's Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate||x||x|
|RN to MSN Program||x||x||-The RN to MSN Program applicants do NOT require a baccalaureate degree.
-RN to MSN applicants must submit proof of a valid Hawai'i RN license before
-Letters of Recommendation should be original and current; It is preferred that one come from a professional associate with a graduate degree, who is able to assess your practice and potential for graduate study and the second from your immediate supervisor detailing your clinical performance.
|Secondary Education (MEd)||x||
-Education applicants must have a minimum of a 3.0 Undergraduate GPA
|Social Work (MSW)||x||
-Social Work applicants must have a minimum of a 3.25 Undergraduate GPA. Those with less than a 3.25 GPA may be considered for conditional or probationary admission and will only be able to enroll in 9 credit hours their first semester
|Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA)||-In addition, to the minimum overall scores listed here, applicants must meet the minimum written scores: paper based TOEFL: TWE 5;
Applications are accepted and admissions decisions are made through out the year; however, in order to allow appropriate time to process applications, we encourage early submission of all materials. Please note, incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed.
|12 Month Program (MBA)||Fall term only|
|Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)||Fall term only|
|Elementary Education (MEd)||Fall and Spring terms|
|Human Resource Management (MA)||Fall term only|
|Information Systems (MS)||Fall and Spring terms|
|Marine Science (MS)||Fall term only; the deadline to apply is January 15|
|Organizational Change (MA) - traditional
||Fall term only|
|Organizational Change (MA) - online
||Fall and Spring terms|
|Social Work (MSW)||Fall and Spring terms. Applicants who have earned a Bachelor of Social Work degree MAY be eligible to attend as an Advanced Standing student, which will allow them to begin in the Summer III term. Decisions regarding Advanced Standing are done at the time of the application review.|
|Secondary Education (MEd)||Fall and Spring terms|
Teaching English to Speakers
of Other Languages (MEd)
|Fall and Spring terms|