Hong Kong Baptist University
About Hong Kong Baptist University
Established in 1956, Hong Kong Baptist University has over 50 years of experience in providing broad-based and creativity-inspiring education. HKBU is consistently at the cutting-edge of the sciences and highly reputed for its commitment to the humanities and arts. The University also encourages service to society among its staff and students, making it a beloved part of the Hong Kong community. The University offers world-class, innovative undergraduate, taught postgraduate and research postgraduate programs leading to Masters or PhD degrees as well as associate degree programs, all tailored to prepare our students for the challenges of a globalised knowledge-based economy.
Location: Hong Kong, China
Website: http://buwww.hkbu.edu.hk/eng/main/index.jsp for specific study abroad information: http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~intl/student_02_01_01.php or to view the Hong Kong Baptist University Fact Sheet click here.
Dates to Remember:
Study Abroad Dates
September 1 – December 20
January 11 – June 15
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be fluent in English
- Two semesters of College Level Chinese or the equivalent
- Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
- Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
- Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application.
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
- Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.
LANGUAGE COURSES: Credit-bearing Mandarin and Cantonese courses for non-Chinese speakers are available.
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at http://www.culturalinsurance.com/
Housing Accommodations: Undergraduate exchange students are housed in the University's Student Residence Halls on the Baptist University Road Campus (BURC).
The Student Residence Halls are composed of the South Tower and the North Tower providing some 800 rooms. Majority of the rooms accommodate two students and are air-conditioned (separately controlled in each room). For each occupant, the provision includes one bed, closet, desk and shelf, one chair, and one LAN point connected to the University's network system. For more information on housing click on: HKBU Accommodations
Currency: The current exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Chinese Yuan can be calculated online at http://finance.yahoo.com/currency
Visa Information: If you wish to enter Hong Kong for education and you do not have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong, you MUST obtain a student visa from the Immigration Department (of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) BEFORE coming to Hong Kong.
For detailed application procedure click on: Visa Application Procedure
Sample Completed Visa Application: http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~intl/Sample.pdfwww.hpu.edu/studyabroad Skype: melissa.matsubara