Placement Testing (Off-campus)
Determine if you need placement testing. If an evaluation of your transcripts and test scores indicates that English (writing) and/or math placement test(s) are required, you have two options:
1) Take the placement test(s) in person on HPU's downtown campus.
2) Take the placement test(s) off-island.
Off-island placement tests must be monitored by an independent proctor. It is your responsibility to find a suitable proctor who is willing to monitor the entire test. The proctor must have an institutional (i.e., school or military) email address. Each test may last up to 90 minutes. The following personnel are permitted to administer the test:
- High school or college guidance counselor/academic advisor
- High school or college instructor
- Commissioned officer, warrant officer, or NCO (E-5 and above) in the U.S. Armed Forces
- Civilian educational advisor on U.S. military base
- Public librarian
- Testing staff at a professional testing or tutoring center
- Hawai‘i Pacific University faculty or staff
- Proctor may not be related to the tester in any way
- Student secures a proctor and a testing location. Testing is not permitted in the home of the tester or proctor.
- The PROCTOR requests authorization by filling out and submitting this electronic form. Approval may take 3 to 4 business days (not calendar days), please allow for this in your request. (NOTE: No proctor-request authorization will be processed from 12/21 through 1/6. Forms can be submitted from 1/7.)
- HPU forwards test administration instructions and login information to the proctor via email, usually within two business days.
- The proctor confirms the place and time of the test with the student.
- The proctor reviews the instructions with the student before the test is administered. The proctor will receive more detailed instructions when authorized.
- The proctor notifies the HPU Center for Academic Success upon completion of the test via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students should contact their academic advisor 1 to 2 business days after notification of test completion to register.
If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the Assessment Specialist at HPU Center for Academic Success at (808) 544-9334, Monday through Friday (HST) 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, or by email: email@example.com.
Students who qualify for accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) should contact HPU’s Disability Resources Office at (808) 544-1197 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org before taking the test.