Academic Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Probation  

Q: What does it mean to be on academic probation?
A: Students may be placed on academic probation when their overall grade point average (GPA) drops below 2.0. Students can only register for up to twelve credits, which is equivalent to four (4) courses (in most cases) a semester.

Q: Should I see my academic advisor for help?
A: It is strongly recommended that a student see an academic advisor on a regular basis once on academic probation.

Q: What resources are available for students on academic probation?
A: Attend our FREE Secrets of Success seminars, visit the Tutoring Center, communicate with your instructor, start a study group, etc. 

Academic Suspension

Q: What does it mean to be academically suspended?
A: A student on probation for the second consecutive semester - or who after completion of 12 semester hours subsequent to being placed on probation for the first time - may be suspended from the University. 

Q: Can suspended students be readmitted to the University?
A: Suspended students are not normally readmitted to the University.  However, students may submit a petition requesting reinstatement to an academic advisor beginning six (6) months from the time of suspension.  The academic advisor will then forward this request to the Executive Director of Student Academic Services.  To be considered for reinstatement, students must show that they have the ability and motivation to return to HPU and resume their academic studies.  Petitions are considered on a case-by-case basis and not automatically granted.

Q: How does a suspended student show they have the "ability and motivation" to return to HPU?
A: One way a student can demonstrate readiness to return is by being accepted to and successfully taking courses at another higher education institution. 

 CR/NC policy (Credit/No Credit)

Q: What is the policy on credit/no credit (CR/NC) grades for courses?
A: Certain courses may also be taken, by petition, on a credit/no credit basis. Courses that may be taken for credit/no credit do not include courses in the English Foundations Program or those that are considered to be required or are restricted elective courses in a student's degree program. Under the credit/no credit option, a student receives a grade of CR (credit) or NC (no credit).  Because no grade points are awarded for CR/NC grades, courses taken on a credit/no credit basis are not included in calculating a student's GPA.  Only 15 semester hours taken on a credit/no credit basis may be applied to the unrestricted elective portion of a student's baccalaureate degree.

Q: After the course begins, may I change it to credit/no credit?
A: No.  Student must decide the grading policy of the course at the time of registration.  Once the course begins, you may not change the grading policy for that course.

Q: Are CR/NC courses free or discounted?
A: No.  The current tuition charges apply to all CR/NC courses.

Forgiveness Policy

Q: What is the Forgiveness Policy?
A: All grades earned in each term/semester will appear on the student's transcript, and will be calculated in the student's grade point average (GPA). Prior to graduation, an undergraduate student may request consideration to have only the last grade for the first 15 semester hours of repeat coursework counted toward their final GPA. Students who desire to request consideration under this Forgiveness Policy, should consult with an Academic Advisor at any campus for assistance in submission of the proper petition form.

Q: Where can I find the Forgiveness Policy Form?
A: See an academic advisor or click here.

Q: To whom should I submit the form?
A: Please take it to the Downtown or Hawaii Loa Campus Advising Center.

Q: Does my Academic Advisor need to sign off on it?
A: Yes.

Q: If I've retaken more than 15 credits do I get to choose which courses I want to use the Forgiveness Policy on?
A: No.  It will be applied to the first 15 credits.

International Students

Q: What is the requirement for international students to maintain adequate minimum credit hours?
A: The minimum course load for undergraduate international students is 12 credit hours per semester.  This is the minimum number of credits to be considered a full-time student.  This is also the minimum number of credits that must be taken by F-1 Visa students to satisfy Sevis requirements; some international students may have more stringent requirements established by the government of their own country.

Special Status Students

Q: What does it mean to be a special status student?
A: U.S. citizens or resident aliens who wish to take undergraduate credit courses at Hawai'i Pacific, but who do not seek a degree or participation in the cooperative education or financial aid programs, or the use of veterans' benefits, may apply directly at the Registrar's Office during the three weeks preceding classes and the first week of classes. Credit taken in this category is generally limited to 15 semester hours. These credits may be applied to a degree program should a special status student seek admission as a regular degree-seeking student. Any student who has completed 15 semester hours as a special status student must consult an academic advisor and complete the admission process in order to continue taking courses.

Q: Can a special status student take any class he/she wishes?
A: Student must first demonstrate he/she has met the prerequisite requirements for the course by supplying the academic advisor with copies of transcripts or certificates, whichever may apply.


Q: How do I order an official transcript?
A: Click here for instructions.