Can't Connect? Library Databases Help Page
The HPU Libraries subscribe to numerous online resources. Vendor and publisher licensing
The libraries employ a proxy server to enable off-campus access for authorized users. If you are off-campus and click on a link to a
If you need help with your Blackboard account, please contact the HPU Help Desk at (808) 566-2411 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Common Problems With Off Campus Access:
- Minimum browser requirements: please use current versions of Microsoft's Internet
Explorer ,Mozilla's Firefox, Google's Chrome, or Apple's Safari. Some students have found that problems with one browser are not present with another browser.
- The AOL (America Online) browser will not work for
off campusaccess to databases.
- Cookies: Set your browser to accept cookies. Check your browser's Help file for instructions on how to modify your settings.
Pop UpBlockers: Turn off.
- After reconfiguring your computer, you may need to clear the cache (delete cookies), history, and temporary files.
INTERNET SECURITY AND FIREWALL SOFTWARE
- Firewall and Internet security software [Norton
Anti-virus, McAfee, etc.] block traffic from moving in and out of your home network; however, most default settings are very restrictive and make accessing the library's databases difficult or impossible.
- Turn them off temporarily to access the database. You can turn them back on as soon as you gain entry to the database you want to search.
- "How do I access ebooks through the library catalog while I am off-campus?"
- "I'm trying to access the database from work and I cannot
When trying to access the HPU Libraries' databases from work, users should check with
whomeveris responsible for network security. Many employers, particularly federal and state agencies and military installations and contractors, configure their networks in such a way that access to our databases is prevented. This is usually due to firewalls and other security features; these are there for legitimate security concerns and should not be tampered with without permission.
- What's this?
- This is HPU’s link resolver. When you see this icon in an online database, click on it to check for
full textavailability. If a full textsource is available, follow the link provided. You may be connected to the article, or to the journal’s homepage. HPU licenses many full textresources, but it is not possible to provide access to every article published. Unavailable articles may be requested through interlibrary loan.
If you continue to have problems accessing any of the library's electronic resources, contact us. Please be as SPECIFIC as possible when reporting problems by email...
- Which database were you trying to use?
- What browser are you using? (example, Internet Explorer 5.5)
- Was there an error message? What did it say?
- What kind of operating system are you using? (example, Windows 7, Mac)
- Did you follow any of the above recommendations to solve the problem?
Call the Reference Desk at 544-1133 or email the Libraries at email@example.com.
HPU Computing Services at 566-2411 [Click here to contact Computing Services via an online form]