CSC Frequently Asked Questions for Students
How can the Career Services Center help me?
We offer a variety of events and resources that help students enhance their skills, build their network, and explore their strengths. Career Counselors work with students and alumni in every step of their career development process, including:
- Choosing a major or career path
- Assessing your personality type and career interests
- Assistance with your resume and cover letter
- Internship and cooperative (coop) education (Curricular Practical Training, for international students)
- Preparing for a job interview
- Assistance searching for a job or internship
- Networking with potential employers
What types of events do you host?
- Career Fairs, Job and Internship Fairs, Law School Fair
- Employer information sessions, on-campus interviews, and networking opportunities
- Presentations on various career-related subjects: Resume and cover letter writing, internship and co-ops, professional etiquette, networking strategies, etc.
What does it cost to utilize your services?
Appointments, events, and use of HPU Connect are free of charge to students and alumni. Optional self-assessments cost between $10 and $15.
When should I start using services at the CSC?
The sooner the better! Career planning is an important process, so it always helps to start early. Recent research by the National Association of Colleges and Employers also shows that students who used career center services extensively fared better in the job market than their peers who didn’t use the career center or used the career center in a limited way.
Do you take walk-ins?
We welcome walk-ins during our scheduled “Drop-In Advising” during the Spring 2017 term. Otherwise, call us to schedule an appointment.
How can I make an appointment with a Career advisor?
Visit our office in FH 502 or call us at 808-544-0230. We are open year-round, Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. We schedule appointments in person, by phone, and can often help via email.
I need help finding a job. How can CSC help me?
Get started with our online job search engine, HPU Connect: www.hpu.edu/hpuconnect. You’ll find full-time and part-time jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities. There are positions both on and off campus; Federal Work Study (FWS) and non-FWS. Meet with a Career Advisor for tailored assistance.
I want to do an internship. Where should I start?
Learn about internship program requirements and forms on our website, www.hpu.edu/internships. We strongly recommend attending an Information Session or meeting with a Career Counselor prior to starting the paperwork.
Do you place students in jobs and internships?
No, we are not a placement center. We encourage students and alumni to find the employer and company that is the best fit for them, and we can help throughout the search and application process.
Can I utilize your services even after I graduate?
Yes! All of our services are available to alumni.
How can I find out more about your services and events?
Explore our website at www.hpu.edu/csc for detailed information. You’ll also find links to our Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn accounts. We also publicize our events via HPU Pipeline emails.