Career Services for Students

Sina Engelke

Sina Engelke

MBA Human Resource Management


In order to complement my MBA degree with some real-world experience in the actual field of Human Resources, I had decided to take one of my classes as an internship...


International Students

As an international student, working outside of your home country may pose unique opportunities and challenges. The Career Services Center is here to assist you in navigating through the sometimes confusing world of employment where the rules, the culture, and the expectations in the work environment can be quite different from what you are accustomed.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Your visa status determines if you can work in the U.S. and in what types of situations. International students generally hold either an F-1 (student status) or J-1 (exchange visitor) visa. 

Students on an F-1 visa may be eligible to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  CPT allows students to work off-campus in positions (internships or co-ops) which give them practical training in their major field of study.  CPT must be authorized by a Designated School Official (DSO) in the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). The position must be directly related to the student's major and the student must receive academic credit for the hours worked.  

For more information on internships and co-ops, click here

Other Types of Employment for International Students

There are other typs of employment for international students such as on-campus jobs, Optional Practical Training (OPT) and academic training for J-1 students.  For more information, please visit HPU's Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).  

Academic training work authorization for J-1 students is handled through the OISS. The Career Services Center can assist J-1 students with career counseling and job search assistance once they have received approval to work from OISS. 

intlServices for International Students

Career Counselors can assist international students with a wide range of career counseling services, including resume writing, interview preparation, job search assistance, registering for an internship and more.  Please contact our office if you have any questions or to schedule an appointment.

Related Links 

Social Security numbers (SSNs) are ONLY issued to students with work authorization.  Fore more information, visit the following links:

Withholding of Social Security (FICA) payment for International Students

Certain international students may be exempt from payment of social security (FICA) taxes on authorized employment if they are attending academic instituations in the U.S. on F-1 Visas and have been in the U.S. for less than five (5) years.  Should you have any questions regarding this matter, refer to the I.R.S. website: Publication 519 - "U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens", specifically Section 8 - Social Security & Medicare Taxes, Students & Exchange Visitors. 

Internships for International Students:  View this video to learn three hot tips from Jennifer Brook, HPU Associate Director of International Admissions