Aoyama Gakuin University
About Aoyama Gakuin University:
Aoyama Gakuin University was first established in 1874 by missionaries. The university today has two campuses and over twenty thousand students are currently enrolled. This university offers facilities such as computer center, library, and several language laboratories. In addition to offering facilities, AGU offers school clubs to help immerse the student in Japanese culture. Student will gain insight to Japanese culture through courses and daily experience in Japan. Students who want to learn more on Aoyama Gakuin University can find more information at the official university website.
Location: Aoyama Gakuin University (AGU), Tokyo, Japan
Academics Available: AGU is open to all majors. Their online course search can be found here: http://web.iec.aoyama.ac.jp/english/exchange/classes.html
Dates to Remember:
Study Abroad Dates
September 12- February 2
April 2 - August 4
* Fall Semester is not available due to conflicts with our academic calendar. You may only choose between attending Spring Semester or Full Year at this university.
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be fluent in English
- Complete the Student Abroad Inquiry Form to schedule a meeting Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to figure out your remaining HPU degree requirements.
- Select a Partner School or Program that has courses, which can fill your degree requirements.
- Complete the HPU Study Abroad Application
- Complete the Partner School or Program’s admissions application
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university of program’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
- Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.
Scholarship: Aoyama University offers an International Exchange Foundation Scholarship for 100,000 yen in total. It is only offered to those who are on a student visa and the receipients will be chosen based on the academic standings of their home university, the information on the application, and their interview in Japanese. All exchange students will be informed about the details before the scholarship application period.
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at http://www.culturalinsurance.com/
Housing Accommodations: Aoyama University offers on-campus housing for their exchange students. The rooms are furnished. Meal plans are also available. Participants can find more information on amenities and housing by visiting http://web.iec.aoyama.ac.jp/english/exchange/housing.html
Visa Information: U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at http://travel.state.gov. You will find detailed information on the student visa process at http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj04e.html.
Application documents can be downloaded from the website below: http://web.iec.aoyama.ac.jp/english/exchange/materials.html
Director, International Exchange and Study Abroad
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-0288, Fax: 1-808-544-9355