Information for New Students
Mandatory Immigration Check-in Sessions
The International Immigration Check-in is a mandatory session that ensures that you are checked-in and verified for United States Immigration purposes. The check-in has two parts.
Part 1: Upon arrival, you must bring your passport/visa, I20/D2019, and local address to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) at 1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200. The OISS staff will make copies of your documents and verify your address for immigration purposes. You will then be given further information on the second part of the check-in, which is the orientation/immigration session.
Part 2: Bring your passport/visa and I20/D2019 to the second part of the session listed below for the orientation portion. This is where you will receive immigration information, as well as other important HPU information and resources. Once you have completed the orientation portion your SEVIS record will be registered for immigration purposes.
Immigration Check In
Please contact the Office of International Student Services for further details (808) 356-5299.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you arrive in Honolulu in time to attend the check-in session in the semester that you will begin your studies. Only absences with documentation (e.g. exam scheduled, still completing a course, doctor's note) will be accepted.
We recommend that students also schedule time before or after the check-in to purchase books, apply for a student I.D., purchase a bus pass, and pay for tuition because the HPU campus gets busier the week following check-in as continuing students return to campus .
Must Bring: your passport and original I-20/DS-2019 with you to the check-in sessions, and have your current local (Hawai'i) address with you. If you are staying at a hotel or hostel, or with friends and family, then make sure you know that address.
At the check-in session, you will also be provided with other important/helpful information such as:
- Where to go for tuberculosis (TB) testing
- How to obtain a student ID/state ID
- How to pay your tuition
- How to register for classes
- Where to buy your textbooks and a student bus pass
- What student life has to offer (clubs and events at HPU)
- Housing options that are still available
- All about immigration matters (I-20, visa, etc)
- Connect with other new international students, current HPU students, and HPU staff members
To find your way around campus, you can view our campus map online.
- Degree seeking students who are required to take a placement test can do this right after the check-in session or can schedule an appointment. (Pencils will be provided. Allow 1 1/2 hours for the math test.)
- You can participate in one of the campus tours offered for new students. Click here for more details.
It is critical you attend the check-in sessions scheduled for your term!