Current Student

Contact us

Felliphe Castro

BA in International Business


It has always been my dream to come to Hawaii. When I was deciding to come to HPU, I spoke to Gui Albieri from the International Center because he is also from Brazil. He was very friendly and helpful when he explained what it would be like to come to HPU and Hawaii.


International Student Employment

 Your visa status determines if you can work in the U.S. and in what types of situations. International students generally hold either an F1 (student status) or J1 (exchange visitor) visa. 

F1 Students

 Students on an F1 visa may be eligible:

- to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  CPT allows students to work off-campus in positions (internships or co-ops) which give them practical training in their major field of study.  CPT must be authorized by a Designated School Official (DSO) in the Career Services Center,  The position must be directly related to the student's major and the student must receive academic credit for the hours worked.  Please click on the PDF link below to review eligibility requirements and the procedure to obtain CPT work authorization.
Guide to Obtaining CPT Work Authorization for International Students (PDF)

- to work in on-campus positions (part-time during the Fall and Spring semesters, and full-time during official school breaks).

- F1 degree-seeking students who have maintained their F-1 status for one full academic year, are in good academic standing, and have studied full-time, are eligible to apply for their one year (12 months) of Optional Practical Training or OPT. OPT is defined by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) to be employment which is directly related to an academic degree that is obtained

J1 Students

Academic training work authorization for J1 students are handled by the International Student Services office. The Career Services Center can assist J1 students with career counseling and job search assistance once they have received approval to work from International Student Services. 

Services for International Students Seeking Employment

The Designated School Officials (DSO) in the Career Services Center can assist international students with questions and concerns they may have regarding CPT work authorization. Career Counselors assist international students with a wide range of career counseling services, including resume writing, interview preparation, job search assistance, signing up for an internship or co-op and more. They also authorize the CPT work authorizations for F-1 students.  

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is handled by International Student Services.