Wireless Connectivity at HPU
The University has created a state-of-the-art wireless university community.
Why Has HPU Gone Wireless?
With the growing use of wireless communication and the technology provided by Cisco Systems, HPU students are able to take advantage of this mobile technology to break away from traditional "wired" stations. HPU students using laptop computers with this techology no longer need to go to the University Computer Center and wait for an available workstation to check e-mail, do research on the Web, and use all the resources that the Internet has to offer.
Students are encouraged more than ever before to arrive on campus with, or to purchase, a laptop computer that meets minimum functional requirements. Rather than requiring a specific system, the University is recommending system specifications that will best meet student needs, as well as minimum system specifications that will serve as an affordable solution. Use the links on the left of this page to link to information on laptop recommendations, where to buy laptops, and other system information.
As a service to our students, the University Bookstore sells Apple and Dell computers and laptops at academic prices. For more information, please click here
Where Are The Wireless Connectivity Access Points?
Access points are available at the following downtown campus locations:
- FS Building - 1166 Fort Street Mall: Computer Center, Floor 3 (student study area);
- MP Building - 1188 Fort Street Mall: Floor 2 (student study area), Floor 3, Floor 4
- UB Building - 1164 Bishop Street: Floor 2 (student study area), Floor 9;
- FH Building - 1132 Bishop Street: Frear Center
- LB Building - 1060 Bishop Street: Floors 2, 3, and 5 of Meader Library, and floor 6, the Center for Academic Success
- BH Building - 1154 Fort Street Mall, Sea Warrior Center
The access points in the Academic Center on the Hawai'i Loa Campus are:
- Ground Floor and Front Lanai
- Floor 2 and Floor 2 lanai
- Floor 3 and Floor 3 lanai
- First, second, and third floors,
- Also, student rooms in the Residence Halls.
What Services Are Available?
- Wireless connectivity has Internet access, including HPU Pipeline, e-mail, and WebCT/Blackboard
- Wireless printing is available at The Computer Center and Education Technology Center (ETC). Students wanting to print documents from their lapstops may save their work on a floppy disk or "thumb drive" and print from any workstation in any computer lab.
What Technical Support Is Available?
- Software Support: The Computer Center (phone 566-2411), located at 1166 Fort Street Mall (FS building), mall level, downtown campus or the Educational Technology Center (ETC) at the Hawai'i Loa Campus (phone 236-5807) will assist students with wireless connectivity and troubleshooting. For a quick reply to minor questions, you may use the e-mail link located at the right hand column of this page or call the Computing Services Help Desk at 566-2411.
- What to take in: In order to save time for both the student and staff, the following are the items that the student must take along.
- Laptop, power cord
- The laptop must have an up-to-date anti-virus program installed and must be virus-free;
- Operating systems supported for wireless support include: (Windows 2000/XP/7) or Mac OSX 10.3 and above.
- Must have current HPU UniCard (Student ID card).
- HPU Pipeline account and password.
- Network account login and password.
- Hardware Support: It should be obtained from the hardware vendor or manufacturer.
Please contact the Help Desk at the e-mail link located on the right hand column of the page or call 566-2411