Career Services for Students
Internships and Co-ops
Internships and co-operative education (co-ops) are excellent opportunities for eligible students to gain hands-on experience in their field while earning academic credit for work experience. Students must meet with a Career Counselor at the Career Services Center to obtain approval of an internship or co-op and to register for the credit(s). Click here to learn about the many other benefits students often find when participating in an internship or co-op.
**NOTE: Internships & Co-ops through the Career Services Center are not considered "practicums." If your degree requires "practicum" hours, please contact your Academic Advisor or Program Chair for more information.
*Note: Tuition rates apply per credit, please see current tuition rates at http://www.hpu.edu/Business_Office/Tuition_and_Fee_Schedule.html.
Summer 2016 Internship Deadlines
The deadline for all students to register for an internship or co-op through the Career Services Center for the Summer is 5:00PM on Friday, May 20, 2016. Internship documents that are incomplete or submitted past the deadline will not be approved. Please be advised that, in some cases, a General Petition (GP) may be required. If so, the GP must be approved prior to the deadline. Please plan accordingly.
Fall 2016 Internship Deadlines
The deadline for all students to register for an internship or co-op through the Career Services Center for the Fall is 5:00PM on Friday, September 2, 2016. Internship documents that are incomplete or submitted past the deadline will not be approved. Please be advised that, in some cases, a General Petition (GP) may be required. If so, the GP must be approved prior to the deadline. Please plan accordingly.
What's the difference between an Internship and a Co-op?
- Primarily intended as an advanced work experience for students.
- Training-oriented; may be pre-professional, pre-managerial, supervisory, or technical.
- May be a paid or non-paid work experience. If paid: student must work 200 hrs. for each credit. If non-paid: student must work 75 hrs. for each credit (or 200 hours, if all 3 credits registered within same term)
- *Exception - HTM Majors must still complete 600 hours, regardless if it the internship is paid or non-paid.
Cooperative Education (Co-op):
- Entry-level, paid work experience; provides initial exposure to the field or profession.
- Student must work 200 hours for each credit.
In addition to working the required hours outlined above, students must write a reflective paper (click here for examples of paper topics). Students will work with a faculty member from their College to develop an appropriate paper topic. The paper is also graded by the faculty member. The student must also complete a self-evaluation and receive a satisfactory performance evaluation from their employer in order to receive a passing grade.
Internships and co-ops are graded on a Pass/Fail basis. Students can register for 1, 2 or 3 internship/co-op credits at a time. Undergraduates may apply up to 12 internship/co-op credits toward their degree plan. Graduate students may apply up to 3 credits toward their degree plan.
General eligibility requirements for ALL STUDENTS to participate in Internships/Co-ops:
- Must be a degree-seeking student at HPU with an established HPU GPA.
- Undergraduates must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA for co-ops and 2.7 for internships.
- Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA for internships.
- The work experience must be directly related to the student’s major, and must offer a valid learning opportunity.
Additional Requirements for International Students:
International students need to obtain work authorization from the Office of International Student Services in order to participate in any paid or non-paid internship or co-op. To be eligible for the internship/co-op program, international students must:
- Obtain the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Authorization Form from the Office of International Student Services.
- Maintain F-1 status for at least nine months or full-time enrollment for two semesters.
- Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program.
- Have room in the degree plan for the co-op/internship credit(s) to be awarded.
- Passport, visa and I-20 form must all be valid and current.
For more information, click on International Student Employment Information.
Steps to Obtaining an Internship or Co-op
Use these checklists to ensure that you have all of the required documents needed to sign up for an internship or co-op:
** PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL NOT AWARD ACADEMIC CREDIT FOR WORK PERFORMED PRIOR TO COMPLETING THE INTERNSHIP SIGN-UP PROCESS WITH A CAREER COUNSELOR. **
** YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER FOR YOUR INTERNSHIP/CO-OP WITHOUT HAVING ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS COMPLETED. **
Internship & Co-op Agreement Form – This form must be completed and signed by the internship/co-op supervisor as well as the student. The student brings this completed form to the appointment with their Career Counselor to obtain approval and sign up for the internship/co-op credits.
Student Waiver & Release Form - This form must be signed by the student and submitted to Career Services in order to register for internship or co-op credits.
Employer Waiver & Release Form - This form must be signed by the internship/co-op supervisor and submitted to Career Services in order to register for internship or co-op credits.
** A detailed job description must also be submitted.
More information on Internships & Co-ops
Internship & Co-op Info Sheet - Information for Students on our Internship & Co-op program.