English Department: Why Study English at HPU?
Here we offer four reasons. By exploring our site you can get a taste of the literary life at HPU, meet some of our majors, review our curriculum, see a "Who's Who" of department faculty, and learn what well-known people majored in English in college.
1 Choice and Flexibility
- Requirements focus on concepts, rather than on specific texts or courses, so they can be fulfilled through many different combinations of courses.
- Students can specialize in literature, creative writing, film—whatever suits them.
- Minimum requirements, maximum electives.
2 Global Orientation
- An emphasis on student writing means that the content of all courses is as diverse as HPU’s student body.
- A world literature course in teh sophomore year serves as the foundation for the major.
- In addition to American and British literature, courses include Asian literature, world literature, postcolonial literature, film studies and more.
3 Emphasis on Writing
- Program offers extensive opportunities for creative writing as well as editorial and internship opportunities, our student and professional literary journals, and student creative readings every semester.
- Students who want to work even more extensively on their writing can complete the Writing Minor by taking only three additional courses.
4 Option to move right into Master of Education 4 + 1 Program
- Students may opt to take only five years to get their English B.A. and their Master of Education degree in teaching English by enrolling in the Education Program’s 4 + 1 Program (contact Dr. Mani Seghal, email@example.com).
For a B.A. in English, please refer to the list of requirements. All English majors must also fulfill the required 36-credit General Education Core.